Ten years ago, on April 1, 2013, I started taking taekwondo lessons again after a 20+ year hiatus and began a journey that changed my life. I am a different (and hopefully better) person thanks to the triumphs, challenges, and lessons I’ve gained from taekwondo. It inspired me to start this blog nine years ago, publish a memoir in 2021, connect with the online martial arts community, and continue to grow as a human.
So let’s celebrate nine years of my blog with my favorite posts from the last year:
- Frustrated, Disappointed, and Burned Out – So I Changed My Outlook and Went to Taekwondo Class (May 2022) – After not getting a job I really wanted and feeling stuck in my current role, I did some soul searching along wth kicking and kiyahping to feel better.
- From Therapy Every Damn Day to Making It On My Own (June 2022) – This was when I was finally coming out of a depression that had haunted me for over a year.
- Taking My Own Advice on Feeling Unstuck (July 2022) – This short and sweet article was my most popular post of the year and one I revisit when I’m feeling down.
- I Don’t Practice Every Day. Here’s Why (August 2022) – If practicing your hobbies and interests is a form of self-care, so is not overdoing it. I have good reasons for not doing what I love every day.
- My Guest Post: Are You In a Martial Arts Cult? (October 2o22) – This has been my most popular and commented upon post for the website Martial Journal. Toxicity and cultish behavior in marital arts is an important topic we’re not talking about enough.
- I’m Glad I Got Injured and Gained Weight (October 2022) – No, really, I am.
- The Person Who Inspired Me to Persevere in 2022 (January 2023) – Have you heard of the rapper Prof? Click out of this post and go discover him right now. Hilarious, talented, clever, and soulful, this artist from Minneapolis put on the show of a lifetime and inspired me to follow my dreams.
- A Year of Private Lessons: My Personal TKD Comeback Tour (February 2023) – From injury to surgeries to rehab and now moving into recovery, my ACL reconstruction journey went to a whole new level when my coach and I committed to a year of individual lessons.
- My Guest Post: Seeking Authenticity? Look to Marital Arts (February 2023) – Another guest post for Martial Journal. Authenticity was alluding me for a long time. Turns out it was right under my feet.
- Back to School! (March 2023) – After a year of private lessons I rejoined the ranks.